17 July 2012

Polenta Scones

Blueberry Polenta Scones



Apricot Polenta Scones






Apricot or Blueberry Polenta Scones....
Or any fresh fruit or preserves you care to flavor these with!
I made these last summer with some ingredients I had around after the polenta cake I make (recipe on blog).  Alter however you like, easily adaptable.  I think some thyme leaves would be nice in the batter.


makes 6-8 scones

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal (I like coarse grind for this)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

1 egg
1/3-1/2 cup sugar
1 TBS vanilla
3 TBS lemon juice
zested lemon or chopped lemon peel
1/4 cup olive oil

Before baking
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.  Beat eggs and sugar until light in color and thickens, 3-4 minutes.  Add vanilla, lemon juice, zest or peel and olive oil.  Beat to combine.  Mix in dry ingredients by hand. 

I've had the texture turn out different depending on how much juice I get from the lemon and type of cornmeal I use.  If dry--form into disks and place on baking sjeet lined with parchment paper.
If moist--drop by spoon onto parchment lined baking sheet (approx 1/2 cup portions)
**reserve some extra better for the top.

Top the batter with preserves and/or fresh fruit.  Then place a dollop of batter on top of that, leaving some fruit or preserves peeking out.  Sprinkle with some sugar and bake.

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

*I used apricot preserves for one batch and the other batch has blueberry lime preserves and frresh blueberries.
Before baking

No comments:

Post a Comment