10 January 2013

Mussels Rockefeller



I've had stuffed mussels in a french restaurant in Washington DC (but not when I was at a french restaurant in France--so maybe not so genuine?)  Anyway, I remember really liking them and when I was coming up with appetizer ideas I decided to do a take on oysters rockefeller.
I like this preparation a lot.  I made a more refined version that I brought to my sisters house but I did not like them as much.  For those I put the ingredients (minus the mussel) into a food processor.  The result was a finer stuffing that easily packed the shell of the mussel but the flavor wasn't as good.  I like what roughly chopping the herbs, greens and dried bread does to the texture of these.
Decide for yourself what kind of preparation suits you, if you put all the ingredients in a processor then the stuffing will have a more green appearance overall.  Chopping the greens distributes them differently and the bread crumbs and dried bread stand out more.
Also, I used more of the herbs de provence blend when I brought these to my sisters.  I would say stick with the amount I have below--using more was a bit overpowering.  Unless you use only chives and parsley or tarragon which have a less pronounced flavor.
This recipe makes 12 and is easily doubled, tripled, etc...



12 mussels
1 TB shallots, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TB olive oil
3 TB fresh herbs, chopped (I used a frozen blend of herbs de provence I had from the summer-- but chives, tarragon, parsley all would play well together)
2 TB chopped cooked greens (swiss chard or spinach)
3 TB bread crumbs (I like tearing dried bread or using a whole wheat bread crumb)
1 TB dried parmegiano reggiano
salt to taste
white wine for steaming, optional (or use water)
3 cloves of garlic, whole

Pour enough white wine in a pan to steam the mussels in, probably 1/2 to 3/4 bottle depending on size of saute pan you will use.  Add whole garlic cloves and bring to a boil.  Add washed and cleaned mussels and cover.  Once the mussels have opened remove them from the pan and let cool until able to handle (a few minutes).  Open each shell and discard half the shell.  Release the mussel from the other half of the shell (it stays attached via a cartilage type of attachment).   Now place it back in shell-- it will be easy to eat once stuffed and baked.
Saute shallots and garlic in olive oil until just starting to soften.  Add chopped herbs and greens and mix thoroughly.  Remove from heat, let cool.  Mix in bread crumbs, cheese and salt if using.
Mound stuffing on top of each mussel, pack slightly.
Bake at 375 until slightly golden on top, about 5 minutes.

NOTE: these can be made up to the point of baking and then frozen for later use.  They will need to bake longer when you put them in the oven.  First put them in covered until heated through and then uncover until browned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment